Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We will continue to compile resources to support your organization’s equity, diversity, and inclusion advancement. To add to this list, please contact us.
- Diverse Book Finder supports collection development and reader’s advisory with the analysis of picture books featuring Black and Indigenous people and People of Color (BIPOC).
- We Need Diverse Books is an organization promoting advancement in the creation and publication of books in which all children can see themselves.
Research and Best Practices for Serving
- Supporting Parents in Early Literacy through Libraries (SPELL) The SPELL project ran from 2012 – 2016 engaging several Colorado libraries. Lessons learned helped generate ideas for serving low-income families with early literacy best practices. Find more information to design your own SPELL project–and why.
- Eliminating Overdue Fines and Fees for Lost/Damaged Materials After parents reported heartbreaking stories about their reluctance to check out books for their young children because they could not afford the fines, the Colorado State Library looked into the details of charging overdue fines. What they discovered might surprise you!
- Reaching and Supporting Parents of Young Children Get several recommendations for staff training, library spaces, collections, programs, policies, and customer services for reaching this vital audience. You will also find information on potential partners and how to engage them. Parents and their young children are worth the investment. Let’s do this!
- Finding and Eliminating Barriers to Library Use Understanding circumstances that lead to non-library use is key to strategizing ways to reach this audience. Take a look at Longmont Public Library’s example for inspiration. The positive implications for encouraging non-library users to become library users are significant!